Minutes: January 17th Meeting

Meeting Chair:  Lynn Oliver

Attendees - Board:   Rev. Tiina Cote, John Fraser, Lynne Green, D-J Heard, Barbara Hill, Jane Maass, Lynn Oliver, Peter Oliver, Dave Rutherford,  

Guest: Katherine Bitzer, 

Lynn called the meeting to order promptly at 6:30pm and opened with a prayer. 

Approval of Minutes of December 13, 2016
Moved by:  Jane M
Seconded by:  Ginger C
Motion carried 

Approval of Agenda for Jan 17, 2017   
Moved by: Lynne G
Seconded by:  Jane M
Motion carried 

Steering Committee Update

As reported Sunday the property listing is done and ‘out there’.  We’ve received initial inquiry from Tim Welch the development consultant. Will connect with the Record to ensure accurate information should a story be written. This is not a multiple listing and confidentiality is recommended so the offer comes in without the purchaser knowing the desired amount. 

The offer first goes to the Steering committee to weigh against criteria and then to the Board to call a congregational meeting. 

Strategic Initiatives for 2017     

L3 Consulting Project     

Post it Questions and DRAFT Action items (response to questions) were typed and pre-circulated by the secretary; this document framed the discussion on ‘next steps’. There was consensus to roll out the information and action items starting with Friday’s eBlast. 

Email from K Bitzer to Rev. Tiina was shared, reflecting on the meeting and the continuum of decisions over the past 5 years. 

Rev Tiina indicated that Katharine Edmonstone regularly takes weekly eBlast to all her pastoral visits to share what’s happening. There is an action item to collect, print and mail these updates once a month to shut-ins. 

Action items from Jan 15 L3 Meeting discussion

K Bitzer’s suggestion for chronological timeline/ history will be considered further; Barb will acknowledge receipt and thank her for her input and thoughtful considerations. 

Interim Site - St. Matthews        

General discussion on next steps from Joint Meeting December 6th; space planning was the priority item. 

Space Planning team has not been identified yet.  Paul Kalbfleisch (St. Matthews) has requested a high level space assessment meeting in next 2-3 weeks. This is conceptual and not detailed. 

ACTION:Barb, Dave and Tiina will attend the site visit/ walk around; Barb will schedule with Paul.    

Barb will invite Matt Carse (IT/Tech) in the same visit to assess network implementation requirements. 

Community conversations

Barb (regional/municipal conversations re: role of the faith community in the core) 

Brief update on the conversations with Region, Dir or child care and Sr, and Mayor Vrbanovic 

Well received and leading to more conversations 

Stewardship  Dave is meeting with Peter Oliver. 

Minister’s Update Rev. Tiina
     Ministry Team Annual Plan - deferred to February
     Staff / Volunteer Capacity - deferred

In response to Rev. Tiina’s request to explore a joint Lenten service with St. Matthews this resulted in an invitation from St. Matthews to join in their Lenten series. Further dialogue is required. 

Rev. Tiina reported the Worship Committee has decided to scale down the sanctuary by removing banks of (side) pews to force a more intimate seating arrangement on Sundays. 

This will replicate a smaller space, (as we will experience it at St. Matthews). This received mixed response; more discussion would be helpful and nothing can happen without a carefully crafted communication strategy.   

Membership review process

The UCC Church Roll is the historic record, still a vintage, hand written process and the ledger includes all baptisms, deaths, births, marriages. 

It was noted that an accurate membership list is important when voting on property redevelopment decisions.   

The protocol   developed for this review, and the review done by Laurie Gilmore, Lynda Donohue, Ken Summers and Kathy Lees, is certainly appreciated. There was approval in principal of the process (for identifying removals) from the roll and board members review of the lists is to be done asap.  The recommendations for ‘removal’ from the roll will come to the February Board meeting for a Board Motion. 

Spirituality in the Arts

A college student (Rene) working with Rev Tiina will help roll out activities (drumming circles, painting, juggling etc.) as another new program. Rev. Tiina holds the action items and is exploring resources to facilitate these sessions.  

REMITS – Definition: Someone's remit is the area of activity which they are expected to deal with, or which they have authority to deal with. 

All churches are required to vote on remits and the congregation needs to be introduced to them and educated in advance.  

Eight remits were identified at General Conference 2016 which affect the structure of the United Church and how it is funded. Five require a congregation vote, four of these are to be submitted by end of June 2017. (Three remits are for Presbyteries only.) 

*** Additional NOTE : 

  • Remits 1, 2, 3, and 4: votes must be received by 30 June 2017 
  • Presbytery Remits 5, 7, 8: votes must be received by 17 February 2017 
  • Remit 6: votes must be received by 28 February 2018 

ACTION:  We need to plan remit learning session(s) this spring to meet the June 2017 deadline.   

Rev Tiina will send out remits (details) to the board as a first step.  

However, this link takes you to the 8 remits, the study guides are included.  http://www.gc42.ca/remits  

MINISTER/BOARD dialogue - regular Minister-Board meetings (dialogue with a subset of the Board) have been requested for some time. John is looking for another board member to join him in these conversations.  NOTE: Lynne Oliver has agreed to do this. 

Finance/Budget Process    

John reported our annual 2016 receipts   dropped another $25%K ($75K in the past three- four years) 

City of Kitchener wrote to say our gas billing was under charged by $1000, and this is now due. 

The Feb 21 Board meeting John will review statements and preliminary budget; Budget will be not fully developed until the Annual meeting in March. 

ACTION:   Board Report – The board secretary will go through 2016 minutes for highlights to draft the framework of the report. The Board will be asked to provide input; D-J will assist with crafting the report. 

Governance   (20-30min) 

M&P rebuild – (as per L3 report)Discussion - deferred 

Nominations - vacancies identified    NOTE:  AGM March 26, 2017 

ACTION: Barb will submit the list of vacancies and opportunities to Dorothy for the Sunday bulletin.     

SUNDAY BOARD BITS:  

ACTION:   

BOARD BITS Jan 22nd, Ginger will provide an update on the Jan 15 Congregational meeting and action items  

Ask Min. Team to consider doing Board bits on Jan 29th 

ACTION:need to be assignedSun Feb 6;   Sun Feb 12 (Barb did this one); Sun Feb 19

UPCOMING MEETINGS:  

L3 Meeting with Board & Ministry Team  Mon Feb 6th  

Regular Board Meeting Tues Feb 21st  

*** Additional NOTE: 

Following our JOINT meeting with Betty Pries on Feb 6, the Board and Ministry Team agreed to meet on the same night and have a shared cross over meeting with a meal. 

The Ministry Team will convene at 4:00; Supper at 6:00; joint meeting 6:30-7:30 

The Board will continue its meeting 7:30 -8:30 

Closing Prayer provided by Rev. Tiina 

Meeting adjourned at 9:00pm  

In Camera - none held 

Meeting Chair – Lynn Green

Board Secretary – Barb Hill