Teams, Boards, Groups & Committees
This is a 'get involved' kind of congregation. Our volunteers put their time, energy and gifts into purposes as diverse as Social Action, Property Redevelopment, Investment Management, Worship, Pastoral Care and more.
The Ministry Team carries out the mission and vision of Trinity and the fundamental purpose of Trinity United Church in Kitchener. Team membership includes clergy and lay staff.
Sub Teams include Worship Planning, Pastoral Care, Social Action Team (SAT), sub groups for refugees, homelessness advocacy, Music Ministry and Faith Development.
Interesting opportunities always available!
Social Action Team
Social Action is Faith in Action. We get involved and support a variety of causes including:
- Homelessness: We participate in the community engagement process for developing and reviewing regional plans for homelessness and adoption of a Housing First Philosophy.
- Refugees: Working with our Arabic partners at the ShamRose for Syrian Culture, we sponsored a Syrian refugee family. Significant education, fundraising, administration, and apartment hunting helped prepare for the Hejjo family's arrival in October 2015. We work closely with the Kitchener Masjiid (Mosque) in a variety of drives to collect food and personal products for government funded refugees.
- TCOW group (Two Countries, One World): We support youth members on educational work trips to Nicaragua.
- Northern Neighbours: Trinity has joined the K-W community in shipping food and necessary supplies to the isolated communities in the far north.
The Worship team is responsible for overseeing all aspects of worship, and supporting the Minister in developing themes for each season of the church’s life.
From new ideas for welcoming the visitor to reaching out beyond the Sunday morning worship, we seek to explore new ideas and support new initiatives. All are welcome to join this team of volunteers.
Pastoral Care Team
Taking Care of Each Other
We organize and facilitate events to enhance a sense of belonging and community. These include:
- Pastoral Care Clusters: Bringing people from neighbourhoods together to develop a deeper relationship and enhance a sense of belonging and caring for each other;
- Congregational lunches on the last Sunday of each month which provide an opportunity to gather in fellowship;
- Services For Seniors held bimonthly at Waterloo Heights.
The Hospitality Team makes the church feel like home. They arrange for ushers for services, flowers for the Sanctuary and recruits Hosts for coffee after Sunday services.
The Trinity Church Board is responsible for setting the vision and mission of the church, as well as the oversight of all aspects of running a church including staff, financials, communications and property maintenance.
The Board is a small group of church leaders committed to the future of Trinity in downtown Kitchener and to leveraging leadership skills and opportunities to take us into the future
Board of Trustees
The Trustees are responsible for the physical assets of this congregation and meet on an as required basis.
Redevelopment Steering Committee
The Development Steering Committee succeeded the DOOR Committee in December 2014 with a mandate to find a development solution that met the goals of the congregation as determined during the DOOR (Discerning Our Own Renewal) process. These criteria are:
- Presence in downtown Kitchener;
- Shared multi-purpose space for:
- healthy child and family development (local programs);
- families in the justice/ court system, e.g., quiet space; child minding);
- Volunteer opportunities for congregation;
- Create an inclusive and belonging space;
- Opportunity for ‘rental housing’;
- Meet the density standards of the municipality;
- Retain ownership of land if possible.
The Investment Committee is responsible for managing the various endowments held by the congregation, the largest of which is The Legacy Fund which has assets of approximately $2 million. The Fund is invested in a diverse portfolio of equities and fixed income securities in accordance with the Investment Policy Statement approved by The Board.
The Chancel Choir
Trinity’s senior choir – known as the CHANCEL CHOIR since 1954 - shares a passion for meaningful music in worship today. This is a mixed -voice choir of 20 devoted singers, with a wide range of musical talents- including a real joy for singing. Weekly choir rehearsals are on Thursday evening, beginning at 7:30 P.M., and are always full of music, fun, and fellowship. Throughout the year, the choir also participates in special musical events, including a traditional Advent Lessons and Carols Service. When requested, the choir sings at Weddings and Funerals.
Church School Support Team
The Church School Support Team works with our Church School teachers, students, the Ministry Team and whole congregation to ensure that our children grow up strong and healthy.